J.R. is a leader in McKinsey’s practices focused on the public, social, and healthcare sectors. Within our People & Organizational Performance Practice, he heads the group in North America focused on organization design work.
Since joining McKinsey in 2011, J.R. has advised a range of clients including public-sector agencies, private-sector companies, and social-sector institutions. Partnering with executives and leaders, he helps these organizations identify fundamental strategic imperatives and envision the organization that will support reaching them. J.R. also helps guide transformation and culture-change initiatives, fostering better decision making and boosting operational efficiency.
Examples of his recent client work include the following:
- optimizing the organizational- and financial-operating model for a defense agency, shifting the focus to emphasize domains of expertise
- helping a railcar manufacturer design and enact a new, customer-focused organizational operating model
- working with the CEO and senior team of an arts institution to define and implement a new organizational model, clarifying decision-making and building capabilities for leading in a matrix organization
- helping a Fortune 50 chemicals company redesign its organizational-operating model
- guiding the CEO and senior team of a travel company through the effort to shift its operating model and improve organizational culture.
Interested in sharing best practices across sectors, J.R. publishes frequently on topics such as change leadership and decision making.